8 months/ 1 week post operative – R hip pinning
I was thinking for a while about it but didn’t feel quite ready for it – trying out for some tennis. Yesterday I went for it!
It was only some light mini tennis, easy groundstrokes from the baseline and a bucket of balls for serving, all in all roughly 20 minutes and VERY simplified but hey, I was out there!
Of course it was no US Open material and nowhere close to where I used to be, ahem… three hip surgeries earlier, but still. One has to start somewhere!
I had a lot of fun and it was awesome to be back on the court.
Here is what I (hip wise) noticed:
- footwork to the left & forward works well, footwork (small, light steps) to the right & backwards feels like I move with the agility of an elephant.
- (backhand) rotation with the hips to the L works well, (forehand) rotation with the hips to the R not great.
- going for low balls – difficult, going down and coming up
- overall stiff and tight feeling on my R side, mostly muscular
- explosive and fast moves – nope.
- Rotation, deep knee bends, weight transfer on the serve? Not really.
- sudden change of direction? Not the best idea.
- fast sprints? No.
Lots of important things missing but I am sure it will get better with time. (Honestly, I thought it’d be worse with a lot of payback.)
It was a good try out and certainly a great way to confuse the muscles. My hip was NOT hurting afterwards, I was a bit tight and tired but that was it. Considering where I am coming from, I was pretty happy.
So back to the usual – my op side needs more love and attention. Have to work on strengthening, building up muscle mass and gaining endurance. No rest for the weary.